Monday, December 4, 2017

Data Visualization: Maps

Data Visualization Maps

Data is a really important tool to use to back up what you are claiming, and you can even find out some really interesting things just by collecting data. I thought that the video The Age of Insight: Telling Stories with Data was really interesting because I hadn't thought of it that way before. Of course data has been used for a long time to find some sort of conclusion for example the population of the country like the image on the right, but there can be really interesting stories created with data. I loved the example of the journalist who would answers readers questions with a data story because it is a great way to make our society more informed and educated.

Google Fusion Table

When I was attempting to using to use Google Fusion Table, I ran into a couple problems. It seemed like a really good idea because even after I made it, it would keep updating as more people filled out my survey, however somewhere in the many steps something went wrong. My computer said that Google hadn't approved the app yet so it would not allow it, so I am not sure if it was something I did wrong or if it was my computer but I chose to use My Maps instead.

My Maps

I created my form pretty late because I had a busy and hectic week so I did not get as many responses as I had hoped, but I chose to do mine on where you would want to go on Vacation anywhere in the United States. My maps was really easy to use, so I didn't feel like it would be that much of an inconvenience to go back and update it if I get more data. I like that when you click on the location point, it pulls up the reason why the people wanted to go on vacation there which was the other question in my google form.

People's Ideal Vacation Spots in the USA

No comments:

Post a Comment